We have answered some of the questions we are asked most often below. If you don’t find your answer here please call our office at 403 283-2025 and we will do our best to help you!
- What is Adventures for Wilderness?
- When is Environment Week?
- Will the Climb for Wilderness be held in 2020?
- What activities qualify as an Adventure?
- How can I participate in Adventures for Wilderness?
- How do I become a Coordinator of a new Adventure?
- How do I join an existing Adventure as a Participant?
- How do I sponsor an Adventure or a Participant?
- Where will Adventures take place?
- Will I be required to sign a waiver of liability?
- Will there be any prizes?
- Is there a Registration Fee?
- Is there a tax receipt for donations?
- Is there a minimum fundraising obligation?
- Is there a “celebration” as part of Adventures for Wilderness?
- Will there be an awards ceremony?
- Will Adventures be cancelled due to Pandemic Restrictions?
- What is Adventures for Wilderness?Adventures for Wilderness is AWA’s annual event in celebration of wilderness, wildlife and people who care in Alberta. It is a challenge open to everyone to create an “Adventure”. Participants in an Adventure will use the Adventure to raise funds for AWA. They will either sponsor themselves, or invite friends and family to sponsor them to raise the funds.
- When is Environment Week?Established in 1971, Canadian Environment Week celebrates Canada’s environmental accomplishments and encourages Canadians to contribute to preserving and protecting their environment. The week long celebrations are often held during the first week of June.
- Will the Climb for Wilderness be held in 2020?Despite every effort AWA has been unable to secure a suitable venue for the 29th Climb for Wilderness originally scheduled for 2020. Because we have been successful in holding 28 Climbs, and this is AWA’s 55th year, we realized it was time to change. Our new event, Adventures for Wilderness, replaces the Climb for Wilderness.
- What activities qualify as an Adventure?Almost any activity will qualify – something that relates in some way to wilderness and wildlife and people that care is ideal. It can take place outside or indoors.Examples are:
We hope the Adventures will be inspiring and fun!
- Hiking, mountaineering and backpacking
- Canoeing and paddle boarding
- Wildlife observation such as birding or animal photography
- Learning more about wilderness and wildlife
- Doing practical things to help wilderness and wildlife flourish
- Stair climb
- Trivia challenge night
- Stroller walk
- and any number of other possibilities
- How can I participate in Adventures for Wilderness?There are 3 ways to get involved in Adventures for Wilderness:
- How do I become a Coordinator of a new Adventure?Decide on your Adventure and register it here.Before you register you may want to recruit some participants to join you from your friends and contacts. These individuals will sign up as a Participant. You may also decide you only want specific people to join your Adventure or that you do not want others to join your Adventure at all. You can let us know that when you register your Adventure.
- How do I join an existing Adventure as a Participant?You can review the listing of Adventures here.Many of these will have spaces for new Participants to join the Adventure. You will need to complete the form and the waiver and offer amount of fundraising agreed with the Coordinator. This can be through either self sponsorship or getting sponsorship for the Adventure from friends, family and contacts that is tax receiptable and payable through our secure online service.
- How do I sponsor an Adventure or a Participant?You can sponsor an Adventure here.
- Where does the Adventure need to take place?Adventures can take place anywhere you decide. The nature of the Adventure and its location is up to the Coordinator.
- Will I be required to sign a waiver of liability?Yes, when you register as a Coordinator or as a Participant you will required to sign a waiver of liability in order to complete your registration.
- Will there be any prizes?Yes. There will be prizes for the Adventures which raised the most funds by June 5, 2020 (funds raised after June 5, 2020 will not be eligible for prizes). The Participants in the Adventures that win prizes will decide how to share the prizes within the group. There will also be other prizes for other achievements such as: individuals who participate in the most Adventures in 2020; being the Coordinator of the Adventure with the most Participants; and more.
- Is there a Registration Fee?No, there is no registration fee however, each Participant and Coordinator accepts the challenge of meeting a minimum fundraising obligation.
- Is there a tax receipt for donations?In general all fundraising donations for Adventures for Wilderness will be eligible for a charitable donation receipt for income tax purposes although there may be some exceptions, which will be clearly indicated.
- Is there a minimum fundraising obligation?Each Adventure has a $2,000 minimum fundraising obligation. The Coordinator is required to donate $200 or more of this at the time the Adventure is registered. The balance of the fundraising should be collected and remitted to AWA by July 31, 2020.
- Is there a “celebration” as part of Adventures for Wilderness?Yes, a Celebration of Adventures for Wilderness and Environment Week will be held at AWA’s office:
on June 6, 2020.
- 455 – 12 St. NW
- Calgary, AB T2N 1Y9
- Will there be an awards ceremony?Yes, awards will be presented on June 6th 2020 at the Celebration.
- Will Adventures be cancelled due to Pandemic Restrictions? All Adventures will be rescheduled to adapt and meet the requirements of the Covid-19 pandemic. It is our intention to follow through on every Adventure although some, like Pollinator Power have already been adapted for this year; none-the-less the Adventure is in progress. You are able to register and make your donation closer to the time. The coordinator will keep in touch and you will have your space saved. Your donation will be required before you can participate.
We hope to see you on one of the Adventures!